Podcasts have been integral to my growth, especially when I was starting out in business over ten years ago. In recent years my podcast consumption dropped because after I went into business for myself, I stopped commuting and didn’t create space to listen to them outside of my day-to-day activities.
After getting my dog last year (and doing the requisite several walks a day for a young pup) I had time once more to start tuning in.
You may be familiar with some of these shows and new to others, but after tuning into these shows (some for well over a year) I can say that they are consistently thought-provoking, insightful, and genuinely helpful.
I’ve tried to sort them into different categories to help you out. Several of them will overlap categories but check them all out anyway. All these links are for Apple Podcasts, by the way:
I love the varied focus of this lineup of shows. Some focus on particular parts of a business, like generating referrals or growing a certain medium like podcasting, while others are broader and cover the principles of entrepreneurship.
- Roadmap to Referrals with Stacey Brown Randall
- Podcast Strategies for Growing Your Business with Danny Ozment
- Grow Your Video Business with Ryan Koral
- Power Up Your Marriage and Business with Robert & Kay Lee Fukui
- What Would Sheila Say? by Sheila Wilkinson
- The Game with Alex Hormozi
- Resilient Faith Online with Marisa Shadrick
Branding / Marketing:
I believe that marketing is the least static aspect of business; it is always changing and evolving and requires me to keep a pulse on it at all times. Try these shows out:
- Your Passion, Purpose, and Personal Brand with Lisa McGuire
- Getting to Yes with Uli Iserloh
- Real Personal Branding Podcast with Lauren Davis
- The Brand ED Podcast with Robby Fowler
- Think Media Podcast with Sean Cannell
- The Agents of Change Digital Marketing Podcast with Rich Brooks
It’s one thing to make money, it’s another thing to manage it. Most of what I learned about money as a kid had to be unlearned as an adult, and these shows have helped me do it.
- Live Life Rich with Marissa Nehlsen
- Tech Careers and Money Talk with Christopher Nelson
- The Retirement Answer Man with Roger Whitney
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich with Ramit Sethi
Mindset / Personal Growth:
When it comes to mindset and personal growth, I want to learn from people I actually know. I want to see how they live their lives. Are they kind? Are they happy? Are they people who I admire and want to emulate, as people? It’s easy to sling personal growth hacks online and be a [insert bad word here] offline. These folks are the real deal:
- The Neurohacking Podcast with Dr. Eugene Choi
- Thinking Big Podcast with Sean Osborn
- Doing What Matters with Teresa McCloy
- Talk to Cool People with Jason Frazell
- Get on Track by Jim Adams
- The KickAsh Life by Ashley Fillingim
- Creating Your Encore Career by Lynn Friesth
These shows have helped me grow spiritually, and as a business owner I really do believe that the success I experience at work is tied somehow to how I tend to spiritual matters. Given my background I don’t always agree with or even understand everything shared on these shows, but for this season of life they’ve added a lot of value and insight to me.
- The Dream Interpretation Podcast with Michael Sheridan
- Inspired Focus with Jaime O’Connor
- Wu Wei Wisdom with David James Lees
- Energy Activation with Sandra Anne Taylor
One of the little-known aspects of my career is my affinity for helping nonprofits raise money. I don’t devote as much of my time to this area as I’d like, but I see it becoming a much bigger part of my work in the years to come.
- Nonprofit Lowdown with Rhea Wong
- Fully Funded Podcast with Mary Valloni
- We Can Do This with Sean Pritzkau
Now, for My Podcast:
I have a podcast called You Are the Brand, which is dedicated to helping people create impact with their ideas and build a business around their personal brand. I’ve been podcasting since 2014 and recently decided to prioritize the podcast on YouTube, meaning I’ll be doing mostly solo episodes for the foreseeable future.
You can subscribe to my YouTube channel below and leaf through the content, which includes sessions from past conferences and other made-for-YouTube content:
What Podcasts Do You Listen To?
I’m always on the lookout for more shows, so if you have a recommendation (even if it’s a famous show) then please feel free to share and tell me what you like about it… and be sure to check out some of the shows I mentioned above!